The Sword Coast is governed by a strict set of common laws. The laws are determined by a political Summit of different factions:
• Neverwinter Knights of the North
• Harpers of the South
• Temple of Tyr spread across the land
• Scholars of Candlekeep spread across the land
• The City Guards, of Splendor, Waterdeep
These factions and efficacy that control the land are usually stagnant. You notice a shifting tide along the Sword Coast. The number of seats (votes) each faction holds at the Summit is decided by donation, public opinion, and consensus. Appointed members of each faction are chosen by their own rules.
• Knights by majority vote of Knight Captains.
• Agents by a series of secret ranger quests.
• Templars by a color of smoke arising from a burning prismic wood.
• Scholars by trial of spellcraft tests.
• Guards by influence and relation to Waterdeep parliament
Appointed, selected, and/or elected Summit seats serve for four years.